Thursday, May 24, 2012

Spicy Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos

Funny. I grew up in a house where everything either went inside of or was served with a tortilla, yet I don't once remember having burritos as a meal. Maybe in New Mexican cooking burritos are more just what you do, not what you intentionally make. In any event I now make burritos when I can think of nothing else to make for dinner. They are easy, they are fast, and I don't have to go to the grocery to make them because we can fill them with whatever we already have.

I found this recipe on Pinterest and it was a keeper from the first time I made it. This last time, however, I wanted to make them a bit healthier (enter the quinoa) and use what I had on hand (jalapeƱo refried beans and arugula). So, so good. Unfortunately this photo does them absolutely no justice. And where did the tomatoes go? Hmm...had I not been so hungry and eaten them about a quarter of a second after I took this, perhaps I could have been a bit more mindful of how they looked in the photo. Whatever.

Spicy Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos
adapted from this recipe on Annie's Eats
Every single bit of this recipe can be modified according to what and how much you have on hand. Taste as you go and add/alter as needed.

      Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil (vegetable, canola, etc.)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped finely
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can refried beans (I used the "zesty salsa" flavor)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 4 tablespoons prepared salsa (more if you like, none if the spice is already sufficient)
  • tortillas
  • arugula
  • tomatoes
  • sour cream
  • grated cheddar cheese
     Directions
  1. Sautee the garlic, cumin, and chili powder in the oil over medium-high heat heat for about a minute. Add the beans and the water. Simmer for a couple of minutes until the mixture becomes well combined. Add the quinoa and the salsa.
  2. Heat the tortillas, spread the filling, add your toppings, and roll. So easy.
As I mentioned before, the original recipe is really, really good. And maybe because it is so good I was able to easily modify it according to what I had on hand. I even made a non-spicy, all black bean and quinoa version for the kids. See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment