Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Be the change


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
                                                  -Mahatma Ghandi
 
I see this quote on a nearly daily basis as I think it attached as a signature on the email of about 25% of the population. It's a simple enough quote that in itself carries an enormous message which has never been so pertinent in my life as it is at this very moment. I'm not talking about changing the world, not even a little bit, but I am taking to heart the fact that change begins right here, no matter how big or small. In the last few weeks I have been involved in a variety of situations both personally and professionally that have left me feeling defeated. I have been challenged, I have been dismissed, and I have been betrayed. It would have been easy for me to relent, to keep quiet; but for the first time in a very long time I have decided to stand up for what I know to be the right thing despite what others may think or say. I know changes must be made and I know that at this moment they begin with me.
 
This quote will serve as my motto for this new school year, both professionally and personally though I have no plans to make it my signature, thank you very much. I know I am good at what I do, I know that everything I do has a purpose, and I know I produce results. My philosophies are not always the most accepted, my methodologies are most certainly not the most easily adopted and my opinion is not always popular, but I will continue on this path. Changes need to be made. The direction must always be forward. There are far to many people hung up on the past and simply doing what has always been done. Whether they fear change or accepting responsibility, I do not know. What I do know is that I can no longer sit back and accept everything without question. I know where I want things to go and I am standing up and making the changes to get them there. Some people will most likely be resistant and some will probably even hope to see failure can't people be just terrible?, but I don't live my life and I don't teach my classes for "some people". Who knows, maybe by this time next year they'll all be standing alongside next to me as opposed to opposite me. Doubtful, but maybe.  


No comments:

Post a Comment