Friday, July 27, 2012

The Very Best Lemon Bars

Having just picked a ton of lemons and having an incredible summer sweet tooth I made my favorite lemon bars a few days ago. Oh, how I love lemon bars. And I love how incredibly easy they are to make. I did, however, forget that the recipe makes a 9x13 pan until I had already begun and therefore had to consume a mass quantity of them all by myself (seems not everybody shares my affinity for puckery shortbread desserts). Sadly I have the canker sore to prove it. Totally worth it.

Lemon Bars
recipe from Gourmet magazine, 1999
Ingredients for the shortbread
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the lemon topping
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • powdered sugar for sprinkling on top
Directions
For the shortbread:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut butter into 1/2 inch pieces and pulse with all other ingredients in a food processor until the mixture forms small lumps. Sprinkle into a 13x9 inch pan and press evenly onto the bottom. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden, about 20 minutes. While baking, prepare the topping.

For the topping:
In a bowl whisk together eggs and sugar until combined well and stir in lemon juice and flour. Pour over hot shortbread base. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F. and bake in the middle of the oven until set, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in the pan and cut into squares. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment