Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Grouchies


There is no doubt in my mind that as soon as I write this a temper tantrum will arise, but one thing I know about having little kids is that it's all about celebrating the little things- the fleeting moments and the small victories that occur on a daily basis that somehow encourage within us a strength to keep on going even when things are rough.

It seems that Anderson has been suffering from a fairly severe case of the grouchies lately, not unlike the boy in the book. Have we read it one too many times, perhaps?!  It could be the fairly new school schedule, the relentless heat, or the fact that he wakes up at an ungodly hour but whatever it is it seemingly consumes him somewhere around 12:30 in the afternoon, just as I walk in the door from work. It begins with cries for me to "go away", "I only like Daddy", etc. and continues with a nasty attitude, attempts to smack anything in sight and inevitably quite a few tears. Fortunately this little episode does not last for all that long and I can usually bring it down to normal by working my magic to "just get get the grouchies out, Mommy!", but it takes its toll. I have been sad, tired, and just plain grumpy myself after dealing with this on a daily basis. Couple this with an 18 month old who needs constant attention and I am spent. Even after it is over and I get a kiss and a "Don't worry, Mommy, I'm all done. The grouchies are gone now" I am somehow still able to shake it and come back to 100%.

But as depressing as those afternoons were last week, this little guy has been incredibly loving, snuggling, and cooperative for the last few days. Unexpected kisses, an incessant giggle, and the sweetest words have brought me back. I am so happy and so in love with my little boys. Sometimes a hug is all the affirmation you need that you are not as bad a mama as you lead yourself to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment