Monday, October 8, 2012

Fall Festival

 
Every year for as far back as I can remember we kicked off fall at the church carnival. The anticipation would grow in the few weeks prior as preparations were made and banners went up. I can still remember my first ever ride on The Scrambler with my mom that solidified my deep-seeded hatred for spin-y rides.

The cotton candy as big as your head, the cookie booth, spending $5 to not win a bottle of Coke in the Coke toss- none of it has changed. There are so few experiences from my childhood that I will be able to re-create for my kids, but this tiny little carnival that happens in the church parking lot the first week of October offers them if but a glimpse of how things used to be. The anticipation is the same for them as it was for me, if not greater, as we now live so close we can see the top of the Ferris wheel from the upstairs windows. The countdown began somewhere around last Monday and for these little boys Friday could not come fast enough.

Somehow I never posted the images from last year's carnival when Anderson rode his first "roller coaster", was thrown out of the obstacle course, and spent about $30 riding Jalopy Junction (aka "the car ride"). This year there was no mini roller coaster, he was initially apprehensive about Jalopy Junction but did get to ride once before it broke down (oh, the irony) and spent nearly $30 in the very obstacle course he was thrown out of last year. I can't wait to see what next year will bring when Beck is old enough to enjoy the kiddie rides and Anderson is tall enough to slide down the 4 story twisty slide.

It seems the festival is the first event in what inevitably becomes our most busy time of the year. Pumpkin patches, Halloween activities, Thanksgiving, and eventually Christmas-related fun will occupy most weekends from now until the end of the year. As the days become increasingly shorter and the air cooler, I spend much time during the work week looking forward to making the most of my weekends with my little family. My favorite time of the year has officially begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment