Monday, February 6, 2012

Chili night

I am no way ready to enter a chili cook off, but I was pretty pleased with my first ever batch of chili. Made in the Crock Pot, no less. And vegetarian! Seriously, being married to a vegetarian has proven to be beyond frustrating at times, but I am getting better at altering what I know and love to accommodate my meatless better half. Though I did comment during dinner that this would be even better made with meat, I didn't miss it. Now, the fact that Gabe will go on to add veggie crumbles to it tomorrow to make his a "fake-meat meat version" does annoy me a bit as I do not have the luxury of just pouring some defrosted crumbled protein mass into my leftovers. Can't win them all.

Vegetarian Crock Pot Chili
1 1/2 large onions, chopped
3/4 green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can each black beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
1/2-3/4 small can tomato paste
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped
3 T chili powder
1 1/2 T cumin
1/2 t oregano
1 cup water
salt and pepper
grated cheddar cheese for garnish

Sautee onions, bell pepper, and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add to crock pot with remaining ingredients, stir and set on low for 6-8 hours.
Recipe adapted from this one from The Lazy Vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment