Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Eat: Simplest Summer Salad Ever

After eating my way through a five day trip to New Mexico, salad wasn't a choice so much as a desperate attempt to stop expanding. This is the easiest salad I know. No cooking, no heating, one bowl, easy clean-up, and easy to modify according to what's on hand. Not to mention I was able to use some of my tomatoes that went crazy in the garden while I was gone.
Lentil and Brown Rice Salad
I based this off of a recipe given to me from a friend of mine last summer, his version used different herbs, but I had to go with what is currently growing in the garden. My sister-in-law makes a slightly different and warm version using all pre-prepared ingredients from Trader Joe's. Either way, it's fool-proof.

2 cups cooked brown rice (I make my own in the rice cooker, but you could just as easily use the pre-cooked kind)
2 cups prepared lentils (I use TJ's)
3/4 c diced tomatoes or grape tomatoes (I use both because I have both growing, but it makes no difference)
2 T chopped chives (parsley would be good, too!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 T red wine vinegar
3-5 T olive oil
juice from 1/2 of a juicy lemon or a whole one if not so juicy
salt to taste
arugula

Dump everything but the arugula in a bowl and mix. Seriously, that easy. Add more of whatever to taste. Adjust the olive oil to combine the ingredients and use as little or as much acid as you like. Serve over arugula. You could also use it as a side dish or heat it if you prefer. See, I told you it was easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment