Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Acknowledging the evil that exists

It was only about seven minutes after the explosion had occurred that I heard the news on the radio. Everything was an unknown as, at that time, they still held hope that it had been a burst gas line or some other explainable event. But I knew, we all did. And at that very moment the first thought that filled my mind was, Oh Lord, please not again.

My heart is heavy and I can't help but feel guilt as I go about my day. In December after the Newtown tragedy I was silenced. I could not even bring myself to speak about it, much less write about it. I still can't bear to hear those parents speak of their overwhelming loss. Today I find myself feeling much the same way. There are no words. Yet at the same time there are so many.

I am thankful to not yet have to explain such events to my young boys, but it is only a matter of time. Evil exists. It always will. For it is by the presence of evil that we know and understand the meaning of peace.

For those families, friends, and loved ones whose lives have been impacted by such horrendous acts, I pray for peace. I pray that the good in our hearts will always overpower the evil that exists. That a few people can cause such suffering and misery is devastating; but the fortitude, courage, and determination those same few people have given to thousands, if not millions, of others will only serve to overcome. Good always wins in the end. I believe that with everything that I am. I must.

No comments:

Post a Comment