Sunday, February 3, 2013

Run

There are a few things that I really can't stand that I happily avoid with no issue- fried eggs, the sound of the saxophone in jazz music, and purple (I hate the color purple) come to mind. But then there are other things that I don't like that I really wish I enjoyed. Take mushrooms and olives. I can't stand either one, but I so wish I did. It seems I am missing out on two terribly amazing delicacies yet I just can't handle the taste and/or texture of either one. Eww. I have tried time and time again with both, but somehow I just can't seem to love either one (or, in the case of olives, I can't even seem to tolerate so much as a speck of one that slipped on to my side of the pizza). And running. I want to like running.  I want to find in it the release, the pleasure, the freedom that millions of others do, but I just hate it. I hate it. But I want to love it, I really do. I want to stop feeling envious of people when they tell me they love to run. I want to have the kind of legs that people who run do. I want to enjoy exercising.

Maybe its just my lack of endurance (I am fairly certain I've never run over 2 miles, ha!). Or maybe it's just hard and makes me feel like I am going to die before I even get to the end of the street. Who knows. People always say things like, "once you run for more than 30 minutes it's so easy!". I'm not so sure. And thirty minutes is a very long time in my book. But I am giving it one last try. The goal is a 10k run in just over 3 months. The original plan was a half marathon, but who am I kidding? That's 13 miles. That's for crazy people. Not people who fool themselves into believing that playing with the kids at the park is exercise. And so I started tonight using a training app and you know what? I didn't die. Sure I wanted to stop somewhere around minute 19 (it was a run/walk- I absolutely did not run for 19 minutes straight), but I didn't. I put in my 30 minutes and will do it again at least three more times this week. I am determined to do this. I will do this. I just don't know if I will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment